• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery of a Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

useyourillusion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My brother stole and wrote out 3 or 4 checks to himself totaling $1800. For some reason he was not arrested (not really sure why) but he just received a notice from the court telling him his court date. Just wondering what the penalty and/or jail time for this could be in the state of Massachusetts. Thanks.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My brother stole and wrote out 3 or 4 checks to himself totaling $1800. For some reason he was not arrested (not really sure why) but he just received a notice from the court telling him his court date. Just wondering what the penalty and/or jail time for this could be in the state of Massachusetts. Thanks.
Could be up to ten years on each one I believe. There's no requirement to be arrested. If the prosecutor knows who and where, it can all be done via the mail. He should round up the notices he has received and take them to a lawyer well before his court date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">