• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandson Suspended from High School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5ftGrandma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My grandson had been attacked by other studients at least 8 times. This was because he had broken up with his girlfriend. He is 14. He made the mistake of taking his boy Scout knife to school. Now he is the one in trouble .
What is the law for his offense? He's never been in trouble. What can we do if he kick him out of school? Is there help for his schooling?

cyjeff

My grandson had been attacked by other studients at least 8 times. This was because he had broken up with his girlfriend. He is 14. He made the mistake of taking his boy Scout knife to school. Now he is the one in trouble .
What is the law for his offense? He's never been in trouble. What can we do if he kick him out of school? Is there help for his schooling?
He brought a weapon onto school grounds. Zero tolerance demands he be, at least, suspended.

You either home school him or find alternative schooling.

I don't understand the next question. Are you asking if I know a good tutor?

CourtClerk

Have his parents do the research on alternatives for schooling.

Your grandson did not mistakenly bring anything to school. What he did was on purpose, whether you'd like to believe it or not. He ought to be glad he's not being criminally charged and led out of the school in handcuffs, which is what should have happened.

Indiana Filer

It's a criminal offense.

Indiana Code 35-47-5-2.5 A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on school property, as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7 commits a Class B Misdemeanor.

I don't think he "made the mistake" of taking his boy scout knife to school. IMO, he meant to take the knife to school. Fortunately, no one was injured by his actions.

Did his parents report the earlier battery incidents to the police? Why not? Not that it would be an excuse for him violating IC 35-47-5-2.5.

His parents should expect for him to be cited into the Juvenile Probation Department in his county for the possible filing of a Formal Petition Alleging Delinquency.

I would expect for the school to suspend him for 10 days pending due process, which means expulsion. If he has never been in trouble before, it's possible that they will allow him to return to school under an Alternative to Expulsion. If he gets offered this, he will probably be required to sign a behavioral contract, and agree that ANY future discipline will result in immediate expulsion. They will most likely also require that he go through counseling and anger management.

His parent needs to request an expulsion hearing with the school superintendent if they do suspend him for that 10 days. If the parent/guardian does not request an expulsion hearing, he will be expelled.

If he has an IEP, they will offer homebound services to him until his period of expulsion is over. If he does not have an IEP, I suggest the parents look into private school or home schooling. He cannot enroll into any other public school in Indiana while he is on expulsion from another school.

I'm a juvenile probation officer in Indiana, and have had a couple clients who committed this same offense.

Isis1

i'm going to comment on this because i was in the same situation last year. Grandson needs to be in therapy. he has anger management issues. if he was being assaulted at school he needs to be informed to speak to the school security, his teacher, and the principal. taking a knife to school is NOT acceptable behavior. he needs to follow the chain of command, not take matters into his own hands.

my son did the same thing last school year. what if these boys managed to get the knife away from him and used it on him instead. is he aware of the consequences if he actually killed someone? or even just scratched someone? what if he stabbed himself during PE while running and playing and possibly falling on the knife himself?

i'm actually surprised your grandson wasn't hauled away in handcuffs. i read my school rules this year, the punishment for bringing a weapon to school is immediate expulsion from the school district, arrested at the scene. with possible criminal charges.

are you the legal guardian? is mom and dad involved? who ever has the legal power can talk to the principal about alternatives. does the grandson have ANYTHING on his school record in regards to behavior problems? is this a first time offense? grandson needs to take his punishment. not have granny try to find a loophole to get him out of it.

what's to stop other parents from sueing the school for allowing a potential violent child back into the school again?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">