• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsely accused of theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandy1953

Indiana (An ipod was left at my house and when told by the owner of the ipod to take it to a different location so that ahe could pick it up, it was stolen from my daughter's back pack. Now I am being sued in small claims court and my daughter being accused in juvenile court of theft. Am I or my daughter responsible? In the police report at juvinile the owner states that she left it at my house and on the small claims order to appear in court she states that my daughter lost it or stole it. It was safe in my house until the owner told my daughter to take it to a specific location so she could pick it up there. thank you in advance.only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

Indiana (An ipod was left at my house and when told by the owner of the ipod to take it to a different location so that ahe could pick it up, it was stolen from my daughter's back pack. Now I am being sued in small claims court and my daughter being accused in juvenile court of theft. Am I or my daughter responsible? In the police report at juvinile the owner states that she left it at my house and on the small claims order to appear in court she states that my daughter lost it or stole it. It was safe in my house until the owner told my daughter to take it to a specific location so she could pick it up there. thank you in advance.only U.S. law)?
Until the iPod was returned, it was in your daughter's care and she was responsible.

sandy1953

Ok, I understand that if the person left it in my daughters care that my daughter would be responsible for it. But the girl Actually forgot it at y my house. My daughter did not barrow it or ask to be put in that sitauation of baby sitting for an ipod. Then the girl asked that my daughtr bring it to a specific loacation. Honoring the girls request it got stolen. . Does your answer mean that if someone left their car in my drive way and then it got stolen I would be held responsible.

las365

I understand that if the person left it in my daughters care that my daughter would be responsible for it.
It was left in your daughter's care by virtue of the fact that the person knew where the ipod was and asked her to take possession of it to return it.

However, I do not think that your daughter is necessarily responsible for the criminal act of another. The question in a civil matter is whether your daughter was negligent in the manner in which she carried out the request, and could have reasonably prevented the theft had she not been negligent.

What are the exact circumstances under which the ipod was stolen? Where was the backpack? Where was your daughter?

sandy1953

The Ipod got left here by it's owner who forgot it on her own account. My daughter was going to spend the night at a third parites home ( a friend to the both of them) The owner of the ipod asked her to take it with her so that she could come to pick it up from there. My daughter did what she asked. There were others there at the home including the parents when the ipod came up missing from the back pack in which my daughter had the ipod and her over night clothing. The ipod was in the home inside her backpack supposably safe. The daughter was in the den watching TV and on the computer. No one will fess up as to who took it although we have an idea but he no way wil admit to it.

sandy1953

I won in small claims court..

It was left in your daughter's care by virtue of the fact that the person knew where the ipod was and asked her to take possession of it to return it.

However, I do not think that your daughter is necessarily responsible for the criminal act of another. The question in a civil matter is whether your daughter was negligent in the manner in which she carried out the request, and could have reasonably prevented the theft had she not been negligent.

What are the exact circumstances under which the ipod was stolen? Where was the backpack? Where was your daughter?
I won in small claims court and my daughter was not held responsible. The courts showed that the girl was negligent and not my daughter. Yeeeeee haaaaaaaaa

sandy1953

I won this caes in small cliams

Until the iPod was returned, it was in your daughter's care and she was responsible.
I won in small claims court and my daughter was not held responsible. The courts showed that the girl was negligent and not my daughter. Yeeeeee haaaaaaaaa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">