• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen shoplifting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marley_j

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hi, i'm 17. I was recently arrested for shoplifting, i'd say valued at 60-70 dollars. the officer set it up so all i had to do was go to court and ect, and get in contact with a PO. So, my arraingment is weds, and i'm scared.
Not for the community service, which is what the officer said i would get most likely, I know what i did was wrong, it was a dare, and it should never have happened. I have NEVER been in trouble before.

My question is first, will there be fines? if so how much, estimated? and i have plane tickets to go to Italy to seem my sister at the end of this month...the tickets haave been bought, i'll only be there around 8 days...will i be allowed to go?

thanks so much.
marleyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

I would suggest a lawyer.
You will need to negotiate that the future appearances (if any) or your probation will permit the preplanned travel. While there may or may not be fines, you will certainly be hit up for costs. In addition, the retailer will also be entitled to demand a civil penalty (could be three times what you stole).

hollyjd

so sorry about your trouble- really!! I am 54 years old and have a shoplifting charge on my record from when I was 21. So stupid!! I don't think many young people realize how this could affect them- it's every so embarrassing to have this in front of employers. Actually I think it would now be expunged, but still- the embarrassment is there and when you apply for jobs..... Good luck, and keep your head up. Everyone makes mistakes, and you've made yours. The Lord forgives**************.

FF2155

so sorry about your trouble- really!! I am 54 years old and have a shoplifting charge on my record from when I was 21. So stupid!! I don't think many young people realize how this could affect them- it's every so embarrassing to have this in front of employers. Actually I think it would now be expunged, but still- the embarrassment is there and when you apply for jobs..... Good luck, and keep your head up. Everyone makes mistakes, and you've made yours. The Lord forgives**************.
Do you find that this on your record made it more difficult in obtaining employment? I'm just wondering if you even get the chance to explain your case, or if employers just wad up an application with a petit larceny.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">