• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon Warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coltonbode

I have a Warrant in Oregon for a Burglary 1. I have been pulled over in my current state and confirmed it. They have a 6 state extradition. Can anyone tell me what states that is? I know it's WA, ID, MT, and OR. Can someone also tell me what the statute of lilmitations is for this?

CdwJava

Warrants do not expire, they exist forever and can haunt you by preventing access to jobs, government loans, welfare, and even SSI.

A six state extradition area might just be their NCIC region which includes Alaska, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

However, that does NOT mean that you will not be detained elsewhere or that Oregon might decide to change that designation and extradite from further.

- Carl

xrilander

I feel your pain

I`m also in the same position, but the warrant was unknown for 19 years!!! In 1986 I was involved in a police chase. After being boxed in I attempted to ram my way out, an officer was slightly injured. I WAS NOT charged with any felonies at my arraignment, but received a letter months later informing me that I was (I lived in a neighboring state). I then skipped the court date. In 1991 I had to go to court (in my state) on a suspended license charge. No warrant ever came up. I was stopped a handfull of times (in my state)for traffic violations up to 2003 and nothing ever came up. Luckily, I was never pulled over in the state that had the warrants on me. I even went to court in 2002 and had my name legally changed (because of a seperation, not to avoid being arrested) which is illegal if you have warrants out on you (they check). In 2003 I moved crossed country. Suddenly in 2005 I`m pulled over for a traffic violation, detained while the officer verifies a warrant. I was let go, but not before be cuffed in the back of a cruiser. The officer was nice enough to show me his computer screen "assault on a police officer" which initially said "full extradition", then scrolling down "no extradition". He had to call the contact number to verify it was was no extradition. I was also detained by border patrol for 20 min. re-entering from Mexico this summer. They wouldn`t tell me why, but I already knew. My point is you never know when your name will be entered into the NCIS. But you should know your rights. All warrants have minimal information on them, such as date issued, charge, and contact info. An officer cannot take you in (solely for) if the warrant is no extradition. They have no legal right to do so. That`s not saying an officer won`t lie and tell you they`re coming for you and lock you up in the county jail for 30 days. But then you`ll have legal action against them. Ask to see the warrant. You can try contacting the issuing county to see if they`ll drop the warrant (highly unlikely), plea out on a phone hearing, then pay a fine (no good if they`re seeking jail time), return to face the music, or as most people do, stay away from that state!

Last edited:

CdwJava

An officer cannot take you in (solely for) if the warrant is no extradition. They have no legal right to do so. That`s not saying an officer won`t lie and tell you they`re coming for you and lock you up in the county jail for 30 days.
Let me explain how the process works ...

Officer Smith stops you with your outstanding warrant ... when he runs your license info the dispatchers discover there is a warrant for your arrest issued by another jurisdiction ... Officer Smith's dispatcher contacts the issuing agency and asks that agency if they will "confirm" the warrant and send an abstract to Officer Smith's agency ... the issuing agency either confirms the warrant, or they do not. If the issuing agency confirms the warrant, then an abstract is sent to the requesting agency. In the meantime, Officer Smith is advised that the warrant has been confirmed. Officer Smith then hooks you up and takes you to jail based upon the verbal confirmation. This confirmation is their pledge that they will arrange for transportation within 10 days, but the actual pickup may take longer than that.

Now, if the issuing agency later changes its mind and decides NOT to extradite, then the arrest was still lawful but you woul dbe released either when the 30 day period has passed or when the agency has stated they will not extradite or abstract the warrant after all (usually occurs within the first couple of days - and inside the 10 day window to arrange pickup).

Any beef would be against the agency that issued the warrant and then confirmed it, not with the arresting agency.

- Carl

xrilander

Now, if the issuing agency later changes its mind and decides NOT to extradite
- Carl
When the officer calls the contact number to confirm the warrant and it`s active, the next question probably is "will you extradite". The issuing agency responds "no", you advise the suspect and release. It doesn`t sound right to me that the contact would say "yeah, we`ll extradite", then a few day later change their mind just so the suspect can spend a few days in jail. Then information should be right on the issuing agencies computer, it`s either yes or no. Also, I thought the AG office has a say in who`ll they pick up, after all it`s taxpayer money being used to pick up fugitives.

CdwJava

When the officer calls the contact number to confirm the warrant and it`s active, the next question probably is "will you extradite".
That's what is meant by "confirmation". When you confirm the warrant and abstract, that is effectively a pledge to extradite. However, on Monday morning, when the beancounters get to their desks at 10 AM, they may decide that it's not worth the expense so they withdraw the hold and the suspect is released.

It doesn`t sound right to me that the contact would say "yeah, we`ll extradite", then a few day later change their mind just so the suspect can spend a few days in jail.
It happens. The way to prevent it from happening is to avoid being a fugitive.

Warrants also have a nasty way of denying access to jobs, SSI, public assistance, and government backed loans (generally for housing, small business, or student aid).

Then information should be right on the issuing agencies computer, it`s either yes or no.
It is. If the issuing agency did not intend to extradite from that state, then it would not be entered into that region of NCIC. Or, it will have specific language such as: "Will extradite from northern California or Southern Washington, only ..." or something similar.

Also, I thought the AG office has a say in who`ll they pick up, after all it`s taxpayer money being used to pick up fugitives.
Not directly, no. The state will generally reimburse at least part of the expenses for extradition, but it's not like the local agency has to run it past the AG's office first ... at least not in CA. Your state might be different and maybe they would have to run it past the AG, but I guarantee there is not an AG representative on the horn at 3 AM on a Sunday morning.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">