• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sons Attorney filed a motion for sentence modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justice5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

My sons attorney filed a motion for sentence modification. The judge modified the sentence. The Judge reduced the sentence from 10 years to 7 years to serve. The judge added the three years to my sons probation. He did have 5 years, now he has 8 year probation. Is that legal. I thought that a Judge could only reduce the sentence and not add to it. Are there any websites that help you understand Georgia's law. I would like to know what is the law for sentence modification in Georgia. Thank you for answering my question! God Bless you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Some Random Guy

So your son's lawyer had three years of his sentence CHANGED from prison to probation and you want to stick your nose in and tell the judge he was being unconstitutional? What, you don't like your boy and would prefer to have his sit in the big house a while longer?

The total time of his punishment has not decreased or increased.

seniorjudge

Q: Is that legal. I thought that a Judge could only reduce the sentence and not add to it.

A: The judge did lessen it.

justice5

I want replies only from intelligent professional people who no the law. Thank you! This is not a game this is my son's life. You don't know the story. So don't be so critical.

I want replies only from intelligent professional people who no the law. Thank you! This is not a game this is my son's life. You don't know the story. So don't be so critical.
J = Jail, P = Probation

In Year: 1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9.10.11.12.13.14.15
Originl: J..J..J..J..J..J..J..J..J..J..P..P..P..P..P
Changed: J..J..J..J..J..J..J..P..P..P..P..P..P..P..P

All the judge did was to change years 8, 9, 10, so that your son is spending them on probation instead of in jail. Anyone who thinks probation is better than jail can see that this is a better sentence.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We only want questions and comments from posters who can use proper English. Oh dang, intelligent individuals responded to you and we got the short end of the stick.

Your son apparently does not KNOW the law or used NO LAW when he decided to commit a crime that landed his keister in jail. You are NOT in a position to criticize.

You are absolutely right. Your brief internet search has provided you with more knowledge than any of the legal professionals on this site have about your current situation.

My post was not to be taken literally. It was oozing with sarcastic undertones.

We all know senior members are never wrong and members hit the nail on the head every once and a while.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Senior members can be wrong. We are not perfect. But when OPs don't give any relevant information -- the crystal ball was lent out and not returned. I think a newbie broke it. Hence we are out of luck.

F

fooeyreturns

Dear Justice5,
I totally agree with you. People here are totally judgmental, threatening, unprofessional, unhelpful and just plain rude.

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorjudge

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">