• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

engine problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mickey_901

i own a 95 ford contour and my water pump went out causing the timing belt to stick, the pistons and valves colided and the head twisted. i took it to a auto shop, nothing well known like ford or aamaco. my car was repaired and four months later it is broken again needing the same repairs as before. the auto shop had my car for a month before repairing it and i took it back after it broke again now they have had my car for 2 months, they put a mercury mastic engine in my car and he says that the oil pan does not fit and this engines heads are knocking i just want my old engine put back and for him to replace the heads but he says that that is to expensive and he does not want to go that route. i get nothing but the run around when i call, his people wont let me talk to him he is either busy not there or doing emissions. i know that he is not repairing my car because i rode by there for a week straight and my car was in the same position. he is not making money on my car so he lets it sit while he services the paying customers. i payed him $1300.00 for repairs that were not done properly. when i showed up there unannounced he said that he could not find an engine could i find one and let him know. i always thought that if nobody could get engines a macanic could. i have been making car and insurance payments on a car that i dont have and i have been paying someone to get me back and fourth to work and my daughter back and forth to school and the sitters what can i do?

racer72

The Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique are the exact same car with different badges. The engines are exactly the same, there is no difference in the oil pans. My cousin has put over 130,000 miles on his Contour with no problems. I would suggest buying a new or remanufactured engine instead of fixing the old one. When the head warped it also warped the block. And it sounds like the replacement engine is already worn out. The Ford Contour is a highly rated car and should last for a long time with proper maintainance. Part of the maintainance is replacing the water pump and timing belt every 60,000 miles. You did not state how many miles you have on yours but you may have exceeded the maintainance schedule which caused your problems.

J

jsandrsn

I will agree to an extent, racer72, that the Contour/Mystique is one of Ford's better automobiles. They are, however, not exactly problem-free. Engines are notoriously hard to come by, which may partly explain the the involved in Mickey's ordeal. Also, the NHTSA has launched an investigation of the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique, and Contour SVT over the very one and the same Water pump issue Mickey experienced. Thank http://www.blueovalnews.com, for lighting the match. Visit their site for some good insider Ford news, too. For the NHTSA action, you can relate your problems for inclusion in the findings at http://bonforums.com/complaintform_waterpump25.htm.

As for my Contour, the water pump "issue" reared it's ugly head, too. Shortly thereafter, at 80,000 miles, it went on to its reward when it "threw a rod" with no notice. Expecting something in the form of perhaps a reduction in price for a new $6000 rebuilt engine or assistance with a trade in in consideration for my loyalty -- this being my fourth new Ford -- the Ford Motor Company sadly announced that it will not participate in any form of assisting me with repairing my LAST Ford product.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">