• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inproper use of seatbelt violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clein

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I was recenty pulled over for wearing my seatbelt improperly...shoulder portion of the belt was under my arm. I was on the passenger side of the vehicle; my husband was driving and also received a ticket. His for not wearing a seatbelt. My ticket was $91.

One thing to note that may or may not be significant...the officer pulled us over from a main street into a grocery store parking lot--actually the side/back stocking area where there were no official parking spaces. He came to the passenger side window instead of the driver side. I just thought that was really curious. Aren't they supposed to approach the driver?

I've never been pulled over for this violation and quite honestly, the only other ticket I've ever received is a parking ticket which was years ago and has been paid in full. I didn't even know there was an improper use law. I thought as long as your seatbelt was clicked, you were covered from a legal perspective. I'm wondering if it's reasonable to ask the judge to dismiss the ticket even though I was clearly in violation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you can ask.
However, the odds of a dismissal are VERY low.

The officer is free to approach the vehicle from wherever he feels is safest.

The Occultist

Personally, I have never had an officer approach a vehicle I was in from the driver side; it was always the passenger side.

I thought as long as your seatbelt was clicked, you were covered from a legal perspective. I'm wondering if it's reasonable to ask the judge to dismiss the ticket even though I was clearly in violation.
Under your logic, I could click the seat beat and then sit down on top of the clicked seat belt without actually being restrained by it, n'est-ce pas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">