• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some help..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

At Wits End 2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My father-n-law recently passed an left a will behind..Everything went to his son. The hospital bills are just now starting to come in. The letter we received today wanted the estate information and the lawyers name. Now keep in mind that the house and property is still in his name. My question is. Can the hospitals take said property away for the remaining balance of doctor and hospital bills? Any info is greatly appreciated.

anteater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My father-n-law recently passed an left a will behind..Everything went to his son.
Not yet, it hasn't.

The hospital bills are just now starting to come in. The letter we received today wanted the estate information and the lawyers name. Now keep in mind that the house and property is still in his name. My question is. Can the hospitals take said property away for the remaining balance of doctor and hospital bills? Any info is greatly appreciated
In a manner of speaking, yes. FIL's debts are paid with FIL's assets during the probate process. If FIL's other assets are not sufficient to cover the debts, then the property needs to be sold to pay the debts.

At Wits End 2

What is the nature of the hospital bills? Were they covered by insurance, or Medicaid?
Curb1...The hospital bills are just now starting to come in..And we're talking some major bills...Ambulance to local hospital, life support, life flight to major hospital for brain surgery and I.C.U..Not to mention the last test that was run to see if there was any blood flow to the brain....An all FIL had as far as insurance was Medicaid...:confused:

nextwife

Probate neeeds to be opened, the party named as his PR / executors should do this, and pay his creditors from his assets. The house MAY need to be sold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">