• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the scene of an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was rear-ended this past Friday. I left the scene because my driver's license is all messed up due to unpaid traffic tickets. The jeep I was driving was impounded and has a hold on it because I left the scene. I bought the jeep three months ago but have not transferred the title because it has been misplaced. I did have insurance. The police tell me to come to the station to get the jeep released, but it doesn't "legally" belong to me.

What type of crime is leaving the scene? Misdemeanor? Felony? What is the usual procedure in a situation like this? Can the "legal" owner of the jeep go to the station and have it released?

Any type of help is much appreciated.

cyjeff

Bullsheet.

You have asked questions about drugs, children and parole officers... and now leaving the scene of an accident.

Go pick up your car. You will be fine. Really.

CavemanLawyer

Leaving the scene of a traffic accident NOT involving injury is a class B misdemeanor if the damage to all vehicles is $200 or more. If it is less than it is a class C (a ticket.)

Here is the dilemma. The police probably want you to come to the station so that they can arrest you. If you don't do something about this soon the impound fees are going to continue to increase each day and eventually they will auction off the car to pay the fees.

If you want to ever get your car than you need to gather up whatever proof of ownership you have and get the hold lifted. If you can find the seller, you can have them file with DPS a form stating that they have sold the car and do not claim any ownership in it, even if you, the buyer, has yet to transfer the title. I don't know if that will be enough for their purposes or not, but you better do something quick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">