• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights of a trustee for an estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wkat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in NY but the trust is in North Carolina, I am trustee to my moms estate and I would like to know what are my rights in receiving information from the law firm that is handling my moms estate. I have requested information as to when the trust would be funded, but they have not responded to any of my requests. I just want to know do I have any rights as a trustee.

Dandy Don

Is this a trust that your mother created? If your mother is still living, you can ask HER about whether the trust is funded. She is under no obligation to give you that information unless she wants to do so voluntarily, and you will be receiving that information after she dies when the trust goes into effect.

Right now you are only nominated as a trustee and don't actually become one until mother dies.

If she is deceased and if the law firm is not giving you information, then you need to be consulting with a trust attorney in the same city in North Carolina (where the law firm is that has your mother's information) to figure out what your next step should be.

Do you have a copy of either the will or the trust? That is something your mother OR the executor of the estate should have done. Check at the county courthouse probate court for whatever city your mother died in to see if the will has been filed for probate yet.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">