• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a grace period to renew expired registration stickers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mccabe

New York City

I recently received two separate tickets for an expired registration sticker, on two consecutive days. My registration was expired for just 5 days when the first ticket was issued. I was away on business when the violation was issued and had the registration renewed the day I returned home. This has happened to me before, but I was able to find on the NY DMV website a 30-day grace period policy. I sent a printout of that policy as my defense, and had the ticket thrown out. Now I can't find that grace period policy. Has the law changed in the last year? And will I lose if I contest the violation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

In nearly two decades of driving, I have never heard of a 30-day grace period, ever, and there certainly isn't one now.

You may be able to get the second ticket reduced/dismissed by showing proof of the new registration dated prior to that ticket. Not automatic, but you may get some sympathy.

The Occultist

Yes, there is a grace period. It's the approx 365 days they give you to make sure your registration is current for the next year :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">