• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a way to find out how much money was left over after a Will's distributions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PokerAce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Can I find out how much was left over once everything was distributed? I believe that the inheritance not mentioned in a Will goes to the Executor. Is that right? Once those in the Will receive their inheritances, can I find out how much was left over and distributed to the Executor?

seniorjudge

1. Can I find out how much was left over once everything was distributed? I believe that the inheritance not mentioned in a Will goes to the Executor. 2. Is that right? 3. Once those in the Will receive their inheritances, can I find out how much was left over and distributed to the Executor?

1. Yes; go to the courthouse and buy a copy of the entire file.

2. I don't know; I haven't read the will.

3. See first answer.

anteater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Can I find out how much was left over once everything was distributed?
By definition, once everything is distributed, there is nothing left over. Once estate administration costs, taxes, and creditors are paid, the beneficiaries receive the rest.

I believe that the inheritance not mentioned in a Will goes to the Executor. Is that right? Once those in the Will receive their inheritances, can I find out how much was left over and distributed to the Executor?
No, not unless that is what the will states.

PokerAce

Thanks for the replys. Here is abother question to clarify what I mean:

Suppose that a deceased individual has 100k in savings. He or She clarifies in the Will that X dollars go to person A, Y dollars go to person B, and so on. What happens if the total amount divided in the Will adds up to 70k, and there is 30k left over. Who would get that by default when the Will does not specify? And, can I use the above refrenced "entire file" to find out how much was left over?

Thanks for the replys. Here is abother question to clarify what I mean:

Suppose that a deceased individual has 100k in savings. He or She clarifies in the Will that X dollars go to person A, Y dollars go to person B, and so on. What happens if the total amount divided in the Will adds up to 70k, and there is 30k left over. Who would get that by default when the Will does not specify? And, can I use the above refrenced "entire file" to find out how much was left over?
It goes to the person named in the residuary clause. "I hereby give the rest and remainder of my estate to _________."

anteater

And, if the will is poorly written and does not contain a residuary clause, any remainder after specific devises, would be distributed per PA's intestate succession statutes.

Yes, you should find that information in the probate case file.

Dandy Don

While you are looking at the probate file, check to see if an accounting has been provided. The executor may have set aside a certain amount to pay for taxes, estate expenses, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">