• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silvia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?california. My grandfather passed away and my understanding is he left a will. He is survived by his wife, my grandmother. The questions I have are on her behalf. I don't believe she is mentioned in the will and I want to protect her rights. He married another woman and had children while still married to my grandmother. They purchased a home in Santa Barbara together and they lived there together until she died approximately 10 years ago. He then remarried my grandmother and brought her to live in this house. Now that my grandfather has passed she wants to continue to live in this house. Is she allowed to stay in the house or will she need to leave? All the things in the house such as furniture and so forth will this be part of his estate or are they hers? He had a vehicle which was removed from the property by one of his daughters without my grandmothers consent, can they do this? Wouldn't this be my grandmothers property as well? Or would it be part of his estate? They had money in the bank, however she wasn't on the account. My grandfather's son with wife B was second on the account. Does my grandmother have any claim on these accounts? What are my grandmothers rights and Is she entitled to any of his estate? I would like to retain an attorney if there is any chance she has a claim. Thank you.

Dandy Don

As a surviving spouse she most definitely will have rights to a portion of the home, depending on how the deed is titled. She needs a probate attorney for this. No chance of claiming the money but let's hope there are other assets in the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">