• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

opression81

i am a 19 year old student at ohio university. on friday feb.16 i was found with marijuana in my dorm room by the ou police department, who was called by an resident assistant who reported an "oder of marijuana." i granted a search but ended up being honest and just told them where it was b/c i knew they would find it. the amount of marijuana was very small, a little less than a 1/4 of an ounce and there was no paraphanelia in my room. the police man in charge told me that i would be charged with possession and sent to court and the school judiciaries unless i aided them in busting drug dealers around campus. i am supposed to meet with this officer tonite at 10:30 (tues feb. 20) to dicuss what i want to do. i am a good student on financial aide, and i have never been in legal trouble before. this is also the first itme i have ever purchased any drug whatsoever. what should i do?? please help soon! thanks.

calatty

Do NOT meet with anyone without a lawyer. Speaking to the law enforcement without an attorney present is invariably a very bad idea. Also, do not agree to do anything without a written agreement, arranged through your attorney, that your case will not be prosecuted. I do not know what the penalties for possession of under an ounce of marijuana is in your state, but they are usually very small, and involve no jail time and might involve no future record of any kind. In light of that, you must think whether it is worth it to get other people into really deep trouble to avoid minor trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">