• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wahoo99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

My uncle died several years ago and I have recently found out that there was a substantial amount of money willed to me. The executor of the will has never informed me of this and I never received my inheritance.

How do I proceed to verify the inheritance and claim the money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you asked him?
What makes you think that there was money left over in order to fund your gift?

wahoo99

No. I don't know for sure but i believe that my cousin is the executor and he conspired with my aunt to keep this information from me.

I would guess that I need to get a copy of the will and if there is any provision, to engage an attorney.

Dandy Don

What year did the death occur?

Under what circumstances did you find out that you had been left the inheritance (who told you--a relative, another beneficiary, etc.?)?

Do you know if either the cousin or the aunt had gotten a signed power of attorney authorizing either one of them to handle his finances before he died?

If there is no probate file they may have chosen NOT to have the will probated. But whether there is a probate file or not, you will need to consult a probate attorney to find out your next steps. You may have waited too long and a statute of limitations on probate may have lapsed, but you might have grounds to file a civil suit if you have documented proof that you were cheated.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

wahoo99

what year did the death occur?

7 or 8 years. I would have to look.

Under what circumstances did you find out that you had been left the inheritance (who told you--a relative, another beneficiary, etc.?)?

A relative.

Do you know if either the cousin or the aunt had gotten a signed power of attorney authorizing either one of them to handle his finances before he died?

Knowing the cousin and his mother, i would assume that they did. Probably the cousin.

If there is no probate file they may have chosen not to have the will probated. But whether there is a probate file or not, you will need to consult a probate attorney to find out your next steps. You may have waited too long and a statute of limitations on probate may have lapsed, but you might have grounds to file a civil suit if you have documented proof that you were cheated.

Thanks don!!

Dandy don in oklahoma ([email protected])
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wahoo99

what year did the death occur?

7 or 8 years. I would have to look.

A relative.

Knowing the cousin and his mother, i would assume that they did. Probably the cousin.

If there is no probate file they may have chosen not to have the will probated. But whether there is a probate file or not, you will need to consult a probate attorney to find out your next steps. You may have waited too long and a statute of limitations on probate may have lapsed, but you might have grounds to file a civil suit if you have documented proof that you were cheated.

Thanks don!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">