• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment wall rotting / leaking...Legal Options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldboy525

Hi all,

I have a situation here in my apartment in Orlando, Florida that i'm hoping one or two members can help me with. I moved into this apartment complex in July of this year. The apartment was freshly painted and nice in appearance. As I befriended several neighbors, I was told to watch out for water damage near the window frame in a specific room. Sure enough, after a few good storms, water damage began to appear...and spread rapidly! The actual maintenance crews simple say "We'll fix it from the outside" while the office management is aware of the problem in several apartments and says "We're trying to figure out the best way to approach it." Now it's apparent that this is a structural problem and not an easy fix, but what are my legal options as the water damage and mold continue to spread?? I've been told that I do have legal options but am not sure of the specifics. Can anyone help explain what any possible options I may have in this case? I've attached a link to a video of the leak / damage below. Please have a look to see what i'm talking about. I truly appreciate any info you can provide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtzf55y_iZ8

FarmerJ

This site does offer a landlord and tenant forum so you know. First send your LL a written letter via certified mail about the leak, if you want include the url too. keep a copy of the letter with your reciept , If the LL doesnt do anything with it after say about two or three weeks either re send a second letter or call your local building inspections desk at city hall and ask them to come out. Your LLs failure to act will only let the damage become worse. BUT a written paper letter sent certified starts to create a paper trail giving you proof of complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">