• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probable cause hearing - Credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmaubo

My son's girlfriend (23) both left for a 1 week vacation. During that time they decided to leave the state and try and find jobs in another state and get married. Her Mother became very upset and reported that her daughter had stolen her credit card. The daughter had previously used her Mom's credit cards before. So now there will be a probably cause hearing later this month, with the complaint giving 12 charges of larceny over $250.00 dollars. My Son and his wife had planned on repaying the money.

The question I have is what is the best course to take.

1.) Contact the Credit Card company and make repayment arrangements and see if the Credit Card company will drop the complaint.
2.) Go ahead and start sending in payments to the Credit card company to show the Court that the charges are being paid.
3.) At the probable cause hearing, bring up the fact she had used her Mothers credit card previously and did not steal it.

In my opinion, all the credit card company wants is their money., rightfully so. But I am checking to see if they can just get the whole thing dropped and go about their new lives and repay the charges.

State = MA (US)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

1.) Contact the Credit Card company and make repayment arrangements and see if the Credit Card company will drop the complaint.
The credit card company is not the one who makes the call once the crime is reported.
3.) At the probable cause hearing, bring up the fact she had used her Mothers credit card previously and did not steal it.
That's not going to affect "probable cause" nor would it help in a trial. Maybe if Mom said that she consented to the use it might help, but it sounds like she isn't going to.
In my opinion, all the credit card company wants is their money., rightfully so. But I am checking to see if they can just get the whole thing dropped and go about their new lives and repay the charges.
The credit card company wants their money, but that is a civil issue. The fraud perpetrated is one of public policy. The credit card company has both an interest in seeing that criminal activity that affects their bottom line prosecuted as well as the GOVERNMENT (police, DA) stopping such crimes as well. Just making restitution will not make the crime go away.

This is either a serious (or in the some cases VERY serious) crime. Your kids need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">