• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of Beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RowanM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My father died on 10/29/07. The estate has been in probate since January 2008. I am one of three beneficiaries (all children). My brother-in-law is Personal Representative. He lives in Connecticut. At his suggestion, my parents had their estate plans prepared by a Connecticut law firm. The same law firm is handling the estate, although they paid a Maryland firm $5000 to review and file documents.

I have only seen two pieces of paper since January - an agreement to an expedited administration, and the request to pay the Maryland law firm it's fee.

I understand that the Accounting was filed yesterday.

I have seen nothing else. It is my understanding that the rather substantive estate holdings were in stock, and I do not believe that they were liquidated at date of death. Again, I do not know.

What rights do I have as beneficiary? Should I have been copied on pleadings filed, correspondence, etc? I have no idea as to the extent of the estate (other than a preliminary work up done in November 2007 by the PR), I do not know what work has been done, what bills have been paid, what taxes have been paid.

Is this normal?

Dandy Don

Have you checked at the county courthouse to get a copy of all documentation in the probate file and/or checked the probate file case online county court records to see what current status may be?

It is not unusual, especially if the stock is attempting to be sold and no one has offered to buy it yet.

Try calling or writing to the executor to see what his explanation is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">