• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 with a 3 month old baby.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmandaH11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I am 16 years old and I have a 3 month old baby. My mom let my boyfriend live with us before I got pregnant and now that i have had the baby she got mad and kicked him out. She made me go to a lawyer and sign an agreement that he can vist the baby everyother weekend and does not have to pay child support at this time. Now she will not let me see the baby's father and we want to be together. Is there anyway i can get emacipated now that i have a child, so i can be with the father? The father is 19 years old.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The chances of a court emancipating a 16yo mother, who is apparently unable to support herself (let alone a child), so that she can go live with the adult father of the child is somewhere between nil and zip.

While your Mom is closing the barn door after the horse has already run off, she is well within her rights to bar you from seeing your b/f. If the two of you insist on defying her, be aware that she can ask that charges be filed against him for contributing to your delinquency.

In other words - you need to be doin' as your momma says.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are lucky mom is not having charges pressed against your boyfriend for rape. Granted she would also have issues with that as she was complicit but your boyfriend could be put on trial and sent to prison.

cyjeff

To put it another way....

The father of the child, if paternity has been established and court orders drawn up (which, apparently, has been done), has a right to see the baby.

Until the mother turns 18, her parents determine whom she may associate with. Apparently, they believe that the grown man that has already impregnated their daughter once is not to be trusted.

There is no law or judge in any jurisdiction that will force a parent to allow their minor child to associate with ANYONE that parent determines to be against that minor's best interest.

AmandaH11

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your opinion, it makes a lot of sense. I will do as I am told with her and hopefully she will come around and like my B/F again. My little brother and my B/F got into a fight when my B/F lived with us and that is why my mother kicked him out in the first place. :)

cyjeff

Thanks for your opinion, it makes a lot of sense. I will do as I am told with her and hopefully she will come around and like my B/F again. My little brother and my B/F got into a fight when my B/F lived with us and that is why my mother kicked him out in the first place. :)
The reason doesn't matter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
To put it another way....

The father of the child, if paternity has been established and court orders drawn up (which, apparently, has been done), has a right to see the baby.

Until the mother turns 18, her parents determine whom she may associate with. Apparently, they believe that the grown man that has already impregnated their daughter once is not to be trusted.

There is no law or judge in any jurisdiction that will force a parent to allow their minor child to associate with ANYONE that parent determines to be against that minor's best interest.
Actually to put it another way, boyfriend raped this child. He can be tried for statutory rape in KY and found guilty resulting in him being labeled a sexual offender and having to register for a minimum of 15 years as such. Because mom consented to boyfriend moving in and if it can be proven that she knew about any intercourse taking place (such as providing condoms or other birth control or just knowing it was happening) she can be tried as a complicity to the rape of her child. This is based on the fact that the child is 16 and has a three month old. Pregnancy is 10 months. Hence about a year ago intercourse took place which is when she was 15. Boyfriend raped her. Mom could have known about it and therefore both are possibly guilty of the crime.

Which puts boyfriend out of the picture for a lot longer than until girlfriend up above turns 18.

That is in addition to the fact that mom can control who she hangs with now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">