• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 years old, first charge with drunk in public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlapplebaum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? san luis obispo, california

I'm 18 and i currently attend california polytechnic university of san luis obispo. The other night was the first time i had ever been arrested (or had to deal with cops). I was walking home with a friend after having many drinks when a cop began questioning us. I will admit i was very drunk and i was not walking very well which is why i understand the drunk in public charge. In addition i even vomited in front of the cop after some time of talking to him. It was obvious that we were drunk and even though he never read us our rights he brought us back to jail for the night (where they booked us and everything-fingerprints etc.). I have court in under a month and i plan on talking with a lawyer before i go, but i was hoping to get some advice as to what i should expect on my court date. I assumed it would have just been a fine and maybe an alcohol class, but upon doing some research i can see that it can be much worse (which is kinda scaring me).

so based upon the facts that i was obviously wasted but it being my first offense, should i expect very big fines? community service? aa classes? license suspended? this to be on my record for a long time? etc. etc.

Thank you for any advice
- Matthew

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? san luis obispo, california

I'm 18 and i currently attend california polytechnic university of san luis obispo. The other night was the first time i had ever been arrested (or had to deal with cops). I was walking home with a friend after having many drinks when a cop began questioning us. I will admit i was very drunk and i was not walking very well which is why i understand the drunk in public charge. In addition i even vomited in front of the cop after some time of talking to him. It was obvious that we were drunk and even though he never read us our rights he brought us back to jail for the night (where they booked us and everything-fingerprints etc.). I have court in under a month and i plan on talking with a lawyer before i go, but i was hoping to get some advice as to what i should expect on my court date. I assumed it would have just been a fine and maybe an alcohol class, but upon doing some research i can see that it can be much worse (which is kinda scaring me).

so based upon the facts that i was obviously wasted but it being my first offense, should i expect very big fines? community service? aa classes? license suspended? this to be on my record for a long time? etc. etc.

Thank you for any advice
- Matthew
First off, you threw up on the cop. He no longer had to question you whether or not you were drunk. You kinda splashed it on his shoe.

You could have many things levied against you... you could lose your license, fines, community service and, in extreme cases, jail.

Ask your lawyer about a diversion program to keep it off your record.

You will probably be fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">