• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pdpniceguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

This case happened 2 years ago in Reynoldsburg, OH. A friend asked me and another to help them burn their restaurant because business was bad. Aside from being the worst mistake of my life, I received 3rd degree burns to my body, and that is how I was caught. The investigation took a year and a half and now the DA has finally started plea bargains with me. I assisted the police and confessed right after the incident when I was in the hospital, so I have been helping with the investigation, and am the primary witness to everything. I am willing to testify in order to charge the other defendants including the restaurant owners who put us up to it. The insurance fraud was not filed and no money was made on the owner's part. I am just wondering what my chances are of getting on probation or a sentence less than jail time. The DAs current plea bargain is to try me with a 5k1.1 motion. I have no previous record, I have helped tremendously in the investigation, and I am currently a medical school student. Of course, it goes without saying that I feel great remorse for what I did, and I have more than learned my lesson through the excruciating emotional and physical pain of recovering from 3rd degree burns on over 30% of my body these last 2 years. I just want a second chance in life, and to be a beneficial member of society as a good doctor.
I currently have a very good criminal defense lawyer, but I just want some more opinions because I am worried. I read up on Ohio laws and I believe they would charge me with arson with attempt to defraud? I think that this is a 4th degree felony, what are the chances of getting it reduced to a misdemeanor? What about probationary status? I know everything is based on situation, the judge, and the prosecution, but I would like some feedback. Also, when would be a good time to settle a plea agreement?

Thanks

You need a straight-up acquittal and expungement of arrest record if you think you have any chance of staying in school, doing residencies, much less practicing with a criminal record. There are threads and threads of people with records complaining not even McDonald's will hire them. Do whatever you can or have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">