• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MatrixCode

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

A friend of the family left his estate to our mother, as he has no other family, the problem is our mother passed away some years ago, my question is do we have any right to the estate in question??

curb1

What did the attorney say when you asked him if you were entitled to the assets of the estate?

Dandy Don

Yes, under normal circumstances, her children do most likely have grounds to claim this money and the attorney for the estate this money is coming from should be able to tell you what the law is about this. If your mother left a last will and testament that was probated, tell the executor about this so he/she can take steps to claim the money.

If your mother did not leave a will, then you need to be consulting with a Michigan probate attorney about this (first consultation is usually free or very inexpensive), since there probably is not a Michigan probate attorney reading this message board.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

MatrixCode

yes our mother did have a will leaving things to us ,,mostly to our father who is also deceased and left his entire estate to us, i really am hopeing we can clain this estate and it wont default to the state, it would be a shame. we called the attorney, of course he was out ,,,left a message for him to contact us ,, we also will be going for a consult from a probate attorney.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

yes our mother did have a will leaving things to us ,,mostly to our father who is also deceased and left his entire estate to us, i really am hopeing we can clain this estate and it wont default to the state, it would be a shame.
When (what date) did the friend die?

When (what date) did ma die?

When (what date) did pa die?

When (what date) and where was the will of the friend probated?

MatrixCode

When (what date) did the friend die? June, 2008

When (what date) did ma die? Apr 01, 1987

When (what date) did pa die?February, 2004

When (what date) and where was the will of the friend probate? not sure of the date yet yet, but would been probated in the county which he lived which is the same as ours.

seniorjudge

When (what date) did the friend die? June, 2008

When (what date) did ma die? Apr 01, 1987

When (what date) did pa die?February, 2004

When (what date) and where was the will of the friend probate? not sure of the date yet yet, but would been probated in the county which he lived which is the same as ours.
Hustle your butt down to the courthouse and buy a full copy of the probate file.

It depends on what the will said as to whether y'all are entitled to anything.

Post back with details (leaving out personal info) when you get that file.

MatrixCode

thats exactly what i was going to do in the morn ,,, nice to know that im on the track,,, id also like to thank you for all the info, and help that u are giving, anything u have to share no matter how little or big ,,, is greatly appreaciated as i am dumb as a rock when it regards thease matters ,lol....leagelease .... lol..

curb1

MatrixCode,
How did this " friend of the family" not know that mother died in 1987? Or, that father died in 2004?

MatrixCode

His mother and my mother were very close friends, us siblings are older now, throughout the many years there was very limited contact,, so to really answere your question ,,,,we dont know why he did not change the will to reflect this ,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">