• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this true?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catfish22

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA. my step daughter is 4 months away from turning 18. My wife and i have been seeing her come home at night stoned on something? Dont know what ? It has been brought to our attention that in order to take her to the doctor for a drug test she must sign consent for this test. She is still a minor how is this possible ? thank you,

It may be necessary to require the consent of the minor when being tested by medical professionals, but I am not too sure about that. I would suggest you take a trip to the drug store and find one of the many take home tests. These tests are not quite as accurate and will not show the number of nanograms in her system. They are however accurate enough to give you a real idea of what your daughter is up to. Have you tried to simply talk to her?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It may be necessary to require the consent of the minor when being tested by medical professionals, but I am not too sure about that. I would suggest you take a trip to the drug store and find one of the many take home tests. These tests are not quite as accurate and will not show the number of nanograms in her system. They are however accurate enough to give you a real idea of what your daughter is up to. Have you tried to simply talk to her?
The stepfather does not have the legal right to do anything. Mom can do so.

Have you tried the old-fashioned parenting method of not letting her go out at night? If my parents had suspected I was participating in illegal activities the only times I would have ever seen the light of day would have been on my way to school. Why do you allow her to run wild when you think she may be using drugs?!?!

catfish22

:confused: It is so easy to give advice to someone, But to make the advice work is another story. My children have grown up with love and resepct and punishment when needed. As a parent you can only do so much, for example once they get on the school bus in the morning they get in to there own world. With 82 other kids on the bus peer presure comes into play and if they want to fit in they will do things to fit in weather they are right or wrong. How many nights do you have to sit up to make sure after you fall asleep they dont climb out the window. Lots of times when the school bus drops them off in the afternoon there not there, they decide to get other means of a way home. And guess what, half the time high on something. AS for keeping them locked in the house after school that creates hell for my other child that hears the disresepct my wife and i get. Is this a good thing for my young son to hear, NO thats bull , that cant be a good thing for him,you can only do so much and smacking and keeping them locked in the house makes it worse for everyone . that creates hate!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Huh. Okay. So when they get mouthy or whatever, you just let them do what they want 'cause you can't stop them anyway. :eek:

I'm glad my 14 and 17yo haven't learned the catfish method of parenting. :p

catfish22

crayons

:eek: I dont think you have a clue ???????? Have you ever heard the term By-Polar??? I dont think you could handle it. Infact i know you cant. Its easy to play with crayons, so maybe you should keep up the good work. Lots of parents are blessed with normal children, Children cant pick and choose who they want for parents, Somebody above does. And i think he does for a reason, to keep simple healthy kids with simple healthy parents. Leave the tough job for the above simple parents. Sorry to be so rude, But learn to think outside the box.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
:eek: I dont think you have a clue ???????? Have you ever heard the term By-Polar??? I dont think you could handle it. Infact i know you cant. Its easy to play with crayons, so maybe you should keep up the good work. Lots of parents are blessed with normal children, Children cant pick and choose who they want for parents, Somebody above does. And i think he does for a reason, to keep simple healthy kids with simple healthy parents. Leave the tough job for the above simple parents. Sorry to be so rude, But learn to think outside the box.
I totally agree with Stealth. Your idea of parenting is to be tough only when it's comfortable for you.

And, I have NEVER heard of by-polar. HOWEVER, I am the father of THREE children with Bi-polar disorder. Your style of parenting is exactly OPPOSITE of what these kids need...

catfish22

thanks, for correcting my grammer. Sorry to hear, But every child is not the same and has different problems with this disorder.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And some people are on this site to demand that people tell them only what they want to hear.

Teens are generally considered legally emancipated for some purposes. For instance, a pharmacy cannot give the patient's med list to anyone other than that patient if birth control or depression meds are present, or anything a teen can legally obtain without parent's consent. As these things are protected, it has become common practice to err on the safe side and require the teen to be present when handing these records over no matter what.

Yes, it frustrates parents to no end. The questions and rationalizations are all the same in every case, and there's nothing to be done about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">