• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sentencing Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bud4Law

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA. I was sentenced in 1990 under the 1st Offender Act (no conviction), part of the sentence was not to be employed as a law enforcement officer again. First, is that part of the order constitutional, next, is there a way to amend the order and request the court take that out, if so, how, just file a Motion to Amend and pay the filing fee, and finally, can that order be used against you in another state i.e. Florida if I were trying to become a police officer again here. I have no convictions, no record, I have completed all the schooling, but during my background this Sentencing Order came up. Anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I don't see how you can win. Presumably, you gave your word never to be an officer again, even if only to avoid a conviction. So which lasts longer, your word or the order? Obviously the order given the question.

So right now you can't work in the field because of the order, but if you get it overturned somehow, you go against your word and then your character is called into question. Either way you don't work. Plus, realistically, there's like 100 apps to each job, we're talking young healthy idealistic guys/gals. It's just not possible to be competitive under the circumstances. So, if you have a friend on the inside in high places, maybe they won't care even with the order. That's the only shot I see.

G'luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">