• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcranberry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Kansas. I've been married for two years. We both work for the same company and we both have portions of our pay going towards a 401K Plan. Upon our marriage, I made him my primary beneficiary on my 401K. Prior to our marriage, my husband had his two daughters as his 401K beneficiaries. It is my understanding that the wife is the beneficiary, unless she signs a waiver. I recently found out that he never changed his beneficiary information so that I would be the beneficiary to his 401K. He said it was an oversight on his part and that he would change it. We can make changes to our 401K thru a website. He doesn't know that I can access this information and I can see that he still hasn't made the change. So, if he were to expire, who would get his 401K, his daughters or me?

ShyCat

Since you haven't signed the required waiver, you would be the beneficiary of his 401(k).

Dandy Don

Discuss this with the 401K company to see if there is a form available needed to get the results you want. If so, then have them send you the form and then give it to your husband to sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">