• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-factory equipment passes state inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshupp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have been ticketed in Virginia for having a non-factory exhaust system on my car, though my car passed inspection. A new Virginia law (46.2-1049), which I was unaware of when I installed the exhaust, states that they must be like factory equipment. The law was also passed after I installed the exhaust system. As I now have to pay to replace the parts, do I have any legal recourse to recoup my expenses from the state? If the inspection station passes it, can I be ticketed for this? Other parts in the inspection code specifically say they must be like factory equipment, but not the exhaust portion. Or, am I exempt since I installed it before the new law?

References:
The law (46.2-1049) LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-1049
VA Safety Insp. Proc. Virginia State Police

A lot of Virginians are complaining about this law besides me. Maybe a class-action suit?
Signatures Help change Virginia laws for modified vehicles. Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Thanks,
David

FlyingRon

Of course you can be ticketed for it. The VSP inspection only checks a handful of safety issues, not complete compliance with all laws. Even the emission inspection (in counties where it is required) isn't guaranteed to catch all such mods.

You have no cause for action.

davew128

Laws like that are crap. I read the statute, and it would have been absolutely fine if they had ended it after referencing emissions and providing an ascertainable db standard for noise.

FlyingRon

Laws like that are crap. I read the statute, and it would have been absolutely fine if they had ended it after referencing emissions and providing an ascertainable db standard for noise.
Petition the legislature to rescind it or convince a court it's unconstitutional. Other than that, you have to obey all the laws, whether you think they are crap or not.

davew128

Petition the legislature to rescind it or convince a court it's unconstitutional. Other than that, you have to obey all the laws, whether you think they are crap or not.
I don't live in or travel to Virginia, so no I DON'T have to obey this law. Thanks for explaining to me what I already knew though.

dshupp

Thanks...

Thanks for your responses. I heard the same thing from the police, but wanted a second opinion. I have already complained to my state delegate about it.

David

The Occultist

I don't live in or travel to Virginia, so no I DON'T have to obey this law. Thanks for explaining to me what I already knew though.
I guess my question, then, is just what, exactly, are you contributing to this thread to begin with? Thanks for sharing your deep insight.

davew128

I guess my question, then, is just what, exactly, are you contributing to this thread to begin with? Thanks for sharing your deep insight.
You mean other pointing out what should have been obvious, that the law is geared towards preventing people who want to modify their vehicles from doing so, and not in a way that furthers the public's interest? Exactly what public interest is being served by telling someone that they can't put a huge tip on their exhaust? Or within the limits already imposed regarding the sound level, change what their exhaust sounds like?

I'll give you a hint, it involves targeting a group of people that at least on the younger end tend to fall along ethnic lines. That notwithstanding, its a time honored tradition for car enthusiasts to modify their cars and thats NOT along ethnic lines. That's my deep insight, and hopefully you've learned something today.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not in Virginia and therefore that state has no authority to compel me to follow its laws. Anything else?
As I said, you are required to follow the laws, as written. (Note: "as written" is an important qualifier)

I'll give you a hint, it involves targeting a group of people that at least on the younger end tend to fall along ethnic lines.
Riii-i-i-i-i-i-ight. It's all the big mean state government's fault, isn't it? I can hear those legislators now, in their best 'Mr. Burns' impressions, keeping these groups down through traffic law.

davew128

Riii-i-i-i-i-i-ight. It's all the big mean state government's fault, isn't it? I can hear those legislators now, in their best 'Mr. Burns' impressions, keeping these groups down through traffic law.
Did you have something useful to add? Or can you offer a valid explanation for the law?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">