• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age limits for children left at home evernight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canajun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

What is the age limit children are allowed to be left at home overnight?

Situation: work away from home, child is a 14 year old male close to his 15th BD. I am 45 minutes from the house and am able to check on him frequently. Although he's had some issues in some areas with behaviour when it comes to his relationship with his stepmom. He is reliable and trustworthy at home and obeys the rules keenly when at home by himself during anytime of the day. In that regard he is quite reliable. Police and emergency services are within sight of the house(about 6 seconds response) and my ex is a deputy sheriff that can and does monitor the house and him if he's there alone. This is a very rare and infrequent event and happened once due to miscommunications.

The issue is that we've been having problems with the childrens protective services and everytime we turn around they seem to come up with some new issue that keeps their foot in the door. We've never had problems before with agencies of any kind so this one is a bit out of our league. Note these prior behavioural problems is what allowed the CPS to get their foot in the door. There seems to be a great deal of animousity and hostility between the CPS and the local Parish's Sheriff's department. I have the feeling the current situation between those entities has us caught in the crossfire. No criminal charges are pending or related to the situation with CPS. They just seem to come up with these "threats" of such yet I can find no legal law that relates to anything they drum up. I think my lack of juris prudence here in the USA or Louisiana has left me a bit vulnerable to their antics. (I am originally from Canada) Any oppinions and/or advice is most welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:

I don't know if it is different in LA, but in my state the DSS will tell you that you have some discretion in the matter as to when you will trust your children unnattended for reasonable amounts of time. The problems you are having with them complicate the matter considerably though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">