• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public attorney Didn't qualify but he's taking my case??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FF2155

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I applied last Friday for a Public attorny after going to my first court date for Petit Larceny. I kept calling the office all week to see if I was approved and they didn't have anything in the computer and told me to call the attorney. So I did and he said he would take my case.

Today I got a letter in the mail stating I was ineligable for a Public Attorney, so I called the lawyer back and he said just disregaurd that letter.

I'm a little confused, I'm VERY VERY grateful he is taking my case, but I thought it was by income, if I don't qulaify, why would he take the case? I'm just very curious because it confuses me.

seniorjudge

Stop it!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I applied last Friday for a Public attorny after going to my first court date for Petit Larceny. I kept calling the office all week to see if I was approved and they didn't have anything in the computer and told me to call the attorney. So I did and he said he would take my case.

Today I got a letter in the mail stating I was ineligable for a Public Attorney, so I called the lawyer back and he said just disregaurd that letter.

I'm a little confused, I'm VERY VERY grateful he is taking my case, but I thought it was by income, if I don't qulaify, why would he take the case? I'm just very curious because it confuses me.
You have started SIX :eek: other threads on this subject.

BL

Yes , post in one thread .

Hit reply , say update , anything but QUIT starting new threads .

To answer your question , the Attorney may have decided to take your case Pro-Bono .

Look it up .

Many Attorneys take so many Pro-Bono cases per month .

FF2155

Very sorry...I thought if I had a new subject I post a new subject...didn't mean to stir the pot, just looking for some answers, but thank you for the response on where to look. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">