• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

excessive sentencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jokk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK
A Wichita Indian was in an auto accident. Two elderly women died as a result. The first trial had paid council and an accident reconstructionist. After 13 hours of deliberation it ended in a hung jury. The next trial, no council or experts were afforded. After 35 minutes of deliberating, he was found guilty of manslaghter in the first degree. First of all, wouldn't the charge be involuntary or criminal negligent homicide? Instead of a life sentence which he was promised during a plea agreement, the judge sentenced my friend to one year or each elderly woman's lives. 66 years and 74 years to run consecutively. It's been 15 years now. What can I do to get anyone to look at this case? If the victims would have been children, I don't think the years of life guidline would have been followed. Any idea as to which direction we should turn now would be very helpful

jokk

FlyingRon

Presumably he was intoxicated. Just driving recklessly can't be escalated to first degree manslaughter (even in egregious cases of reckless evasion of the police). Drunk driving resulting in death can.

Are we talking about Wauqua here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">