• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desire to move from current parole district

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kalikille

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My boyfriend and I are a same-sex couple. He is on parole for another year and we would like to live together to solidify our relationship. He currently resides in my neighboring county and visits are costing a small fortune with gas prices. We also run the risk of being outside his 50 mile radius/crossing the county line if he visits my house. I called Sacramento's parole headquarters to find out how/if he could transfer districts. They responded that it is possible, but only if we are related family members. I understand that this would only be possible if we register as domestic partners or have a same-sex marriage (California Law giving us the same status as family members either way). However, the DP option is only a possibility if you're currently living together. While I'm not one to waive a gay banner or even be supportive, otherwise, of gay marriage, I feel it may be our only option. My question, I suppose, is whether or not this is a compelling reason to allow him to move in with me... Can the parole officer/board keep married couples apart? He was in state prison for 6 months for a drug offense. I am a teacher in a public school, own my house, have nothing to do with drugs, and have no record. There would be no logical reason to disallow him from moving in with me that I can imagine. Would marrying be worth the effort and render the move possible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">