• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blamed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RockBaack

Georgia, I am only 14 and I was blamed for vandalism. It all started october 15th 2008 It was the day I took the PSAT. I forgot to bring my calculator, my teacher in the room asked if anyone had a calculator I can borrow. A girl says yes and lets me borror her 1 out of 2 calculators. Then we were walking to the testing room she says she needs it back, she said her other one was BROKEN. We get to the testing room and I'm down about the whole no calculator thing. Then she comes up and says she got her other one to work and gave me this purple calculator (Not the same as the first one she let me use) the solor thing on the top left was busted up, but the calculator still worked fine. So I used it then gave it back after the test was done, and that was the end of it untill three days later. My step mom actually works with her mom so the girls mom tells my step mom that I broke her calculator, and that I needed to use MY money to get her a new one, I was pissed and I still am because todays the day I found out, I need help and advice. My parents don't believe me they are automaticly assuming it was me.:confused: And I understand I could just buy one and get over it but I cant, Because my parents will never let me forget it and they will be ashamed, all about somthing I did'nt do.

Last edited:

RockBaack

Question

What should I do, I went through all of eighth grade getting blamed for somthing I did not do. I want some action done on this

RockBaack

Damage Report

well the solar area was busted, Probably because it was being violently rattled around in her bag and in her bookbag, I still worked when I used it with the solar panel broken, so I do not see what I did and thats not acceptable.

RockBaack

The Case

I just would love it if you could post me a report of advice to present my case to the parents and my parents, and you could give me tips on how to present this. If you could do that so I can show my parents that a Law Pro gave me advice and I would like them to look into this accusation a bit more instead of assuming that I am lying

Antigone*

I did not ask you what the damages to the toy was; I asked for the damages to YOU!

And I also want to know what you want to happen in your case.

I don't have ESP....
Come on Senior...just get some new batteries in that crystal ball of yours. First tell the kid that he needs to learn how to spell. Next tell the kid to have mom and dad buy the girl a new calculator and be done with it.

I'd tell him myself, but I'm not a LawPro. I'm a bankpro.

seniorjudge

Come on Senior...just get some new batteries in that crystal ball of yours. First tell the kid that he needs to learn how to spell. Next tell the kid to have mom and dad buy the girl a new calculator and be done with it.

I'd tell him myself, but I'm not a LawPro. I'm a bankpro.
Kid...do the above.

LawPro

RockBaack

Damages/Case

There is no damages on me, all I want is just advice on what to do in my situation, I'm not hurt. My case Is not going to be in a courtroom its going to be at the girls house, All I want is a post with tips and advice to present my side of the story with enough evidence to show I am Innocent, and If I am you just did a good deed, so I'm sorry if I'm wasting your damn time, but just post a simple report please because as you can see I DON'T HAVE ESP either. and Its not just a matter of buying a new calculator, Its a $150 dollar Calculator, and the girls mother works for a law firm so Yeah its bigger than it seems

Last edited:

outonbail

Just a thought,,,

Had you been properly prepared to take these exams, which would include having brought your own $10.00 calculator, you never would have had to borrow this girls $150.00 calculator and you wouldn't be in this position right now.

So you can look at it a couple of ways.
One, as mentioned above, you placed yourself in this position by way of your own irresponsibility. Learn from it, as this is one of life's lessons.

Two, did your having a calculator to use for this test, provide you with higher test scores?
If so, great, because then you did gain some value out of purchasing a new calculator for the person who was able to help you score higher on your tests. Now she wants to be compensated for helping you.

There is no free lunch in life,,, another one of life's lessons.

As far as you wanting a legal defense, you can simply keep your mouth shut, as the burden of proving you are responsible for breaking her calculator, will be on the other girl.
She must prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that you are responsible. Just saying you did it would not have her prevail in a court of law.

If you were found to have done some damage to her calculator, then you would have to make her whole again. In other words, if it was a used beat up calculator, you wouldn't have to pay her what it cost when is was new, but what it was worth when you damaged it.

In your defense:
Calculators are usually pretty tough little gadgets. As you stated, the solar panel had some obvious signs of damage, yet it still worked. What could have caused the damage? How could you have done it during a test in a controlled area?
Does it sound logical that you would have caused the extent of damages that were done to this calculator, in the couple of hours you were in possession of it while taking a test. Or is it more likely that this girl caused the damages while she had possession of it for weeks, maybe months and transported it to and from school and wherever else during that time?
Would you have had to slam it in a car door to accomplish the degree of damage you're being accused of doing, or would just sitting on it be enough abuse to cause the damage?

How old was the calculator and is it under warranty?

I dropped a five dollar calculator off a roof one day. It hit a concrete driveway and exploded into several pieces. I put all the pieces back together and it still worked!
Wouldn't you expect a calculator that cost thirty times as much money, to be more durable?

Why did this girl wait three days to accuse you of damaging her calculator? Wasn't the damage obvious enough for her to have noticed it when you returned her calculator?

BTW, I'm no law expert,,,,, I've just abused a lot of calculators in my time,,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">