• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NH Conviction Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JusDucky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
12 years ago while in college I was convicted of a couple of Class B felonies in New Hampshire. I was then and remain now a Massachusetts resident. I received a suspended sentence and the sentence expired with no further troubles. A couple years back I was convicted of marijuana possession here in Massachusetts, got six months probation and it ended without incident.

I googled the NH laws on record sealing and came back with Section 651:5 Annulment of Criminal Records. . It says after five years following completion of the sentence I can petition to have the conviction annulled in NH.

It also goes on to state: If, prior to disposition by the court of a petition for annulment, the petitioner is charged with an offense conviction for which would bar such annulment under paragraph V or VI(a) or would extend the time requirements under paragraphs III, IV and VI(b), the petition shall not be acted upon until the charge is disposed.

Obviously the marjuana conviction is the key here. The probation in MA ended about two years ago. Does the time frame for filing an annullment petition in NH restart in its entirety at the time the sentence in MA ended or did it simply delay when I could have filed it, in which case far more than five years have passed without incident in NH.

Also, does being a non-resident of NH toll any sort of statute of limitations with regards to this five year window?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">