• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poss. warrant for my arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

duey

I live in Illinois I am being sued by a family member who borrowed me money I made arangements with her lawer and told him I was in process of getting a loan to pay this person in full. Well it's 2 and a half months later well I was denighed twice by 2 loan places.I just found a bank who will lend me the money and it will take about 2 weeks befor I get. But in the mean time I found outside my door A form from the family members lawer saying I need to apear in court on 2-20-2001 because she does not have her money yet.Well I was never served and had no idea I needed to be in court until I found this paper out on my door step.I was talking to a friend who is a cop and he is telling me that there will be a warrant out for my arrest and I was told they will look for me at my home and my place of empolyment. I am very scared I have never done anything Illegal in my life I don't know what to do please help with some good advice ASAP Thanks!

S

shotcredit

heh

Legal resolution can simply be divided into two categories.. civil and criminal..

when you sue someone, this is civil.. when you go out and mug someone, they press charges against you.. this is criminal..

I am not aware of the laws in your state.. but I have never heard of failure to appear in a civil case resulting in an arrest.. what tends to happen when you're sued and fail to appear for the case.. the plantiff is awarded the judgement cause you didn't show up.. simple as that.. your cop friend isn't too smart.. goes to show what kind of personnel our government employees.. and this is a guy that goes out and makes arrests destroying peoples lives..

christ help us..

you may want to double check in case your state has some whacked law.. but I'm 99.9% sure a failure to appear bench warrant can not be issued in a civil case unless you had been to court and the judge specifically told you to come back and you didn't but even then I'd question it..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">