• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Selwyn Rose

At first blush I would appear to be in violation - but, I wonder....I have recently been in friendly communication with the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London. I requested permission to download some appropriate works of art for illustrative purposes on my web-site.
http://www.selwynstours.freeservers.com/index.htm
The Gallery itself stipulates that downloading one copy for non-commercial use, is permissible. The works, in and of themselves, are not producing revenue, nor is there any way in which they can do so. They are, however, being used on a site which - while not being picked up by any of the known search engines, can nevertheless be considered potentially promotional even though the works of themselves are not an essential part of the "service" being offered. The Gallery was very kind and polite about the whole thing and even accepted my invitation to visit the site and evaluate the situation. Having done so, they have decided not to allow me to "exhibit" these works. They seem to be correct, even though their own copyright statement does have this rider included. Where, in fact, do I stand with this?
Selwyn Rose. Israel

ALawyer

Sorry, this involves British law and I can't offer any suggestions. In the US if they have a copyright, they can control display under US law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">