• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b_dejonge07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I recently got a MIP at a tailgating event in Mount Pleasant. This is my first offense of any kind. Im 19 years. I hadnt been drinking but was asked to grab a beer for someone of age. So I grabbed one and was waiting for him to come back to get it ( for only a moment, one moment too long) when a cop tapped me on the shoulder. The beer was un opened because I wasnt going to drink it. I didnt realize I was a minor in possession because I didnt feel like I was doing anything wrong. I know I should have told the cop the beer wasnt for me but I didnt want to get the others MIPs or the guy that bought the beer for them in trouble. I also never said the beer was for me and I was never given a breathalizer. Im very responsible and have a lot going for me its frustrating that this is going to affect my future . Im not sure what I should say to the judge or if there are ways to lessen the charges or not have a misdemeanor on my record at all.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I recently got a MIP at a tailgating event in Mount Pleasant. This is my first offense of any kind. Im 19 years. I hadnt been drinking but was asked to grab a beer for someone of age. So I grabbed one and was waiting for him to come back to get it ( for only a moment, one moment too long) when a cop tapped me on the shoulder. The beer was un opened because I wasnt going to drink it. I didnt realize I was a minor in possession because I didnt feel like I was doing anything wrong. I know I should have told the cop the beer wasnt for me but I didnt want to get the others MIPs or the guy that bought the beer for them in trouble. I also never said the beer was for me and I was never given a breathalizer. Im very responsible and have a lot going for me its frustrating that this is going to affect my future . Im not sure what I should say to the judge or if there are ways to lessen the charges or not have a misdemeanor on my record at all.
You are guilty. You were in possession of alcohol and are underage. It doesn't matter that it was not yours or if you had a 0.0 BAC.

Unfortunately you're about to learn how literal that charge is. It is POSSESSION. What you are denying is ownership which is not the charge.

This means your story has to be that you didn't know you had it in your hand, not that you weren't going to drink it. You won't realistically be able to get them to believe you didn't know it was in your hand.

Plead not guilty and buy an attorney and go for an infraction instead of a criminal charge.

quincy

In Michigan, if you are a minor in possession of alcohol and this is your first offense, you will probably be offered a diversion program in exchange for a guilty plea.

What this does is puts you on probation, you will pay fines, have to attend drug/alcohol classes, have to commit to a certain number of community service hours, and not drink (or hold alcohol for friends). There may be random testing required.

If you meet all of the terms of your probation satisfactorially, the MIP charge will be discharged and dismissed and there will be no public record and no record of your MIP to report on college applications or job applications (although the Secretary of State will keep a non-public record of your MIP in case you either violate the terms of your probation or get caught with alcohol again before you are of legal age).

Diversion programs are only offered ONCE. If you mess up your probation, your first MIP will be entered and you will be adjudicated on a second charge. Second charges can come with jail time.

When in court and facing the judge, dress nicely (suit preferably, no baseball caps, no jeans), do not chew gum, do not try to explain away your offense or argue the MIP, be polite and contrite.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">