• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for Disabled Parking yet I had Permit displayed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcerura

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello, first I'll cut to the chase and state my question before explaining the details:

What are my chances of fighting a ticket for parking in a disabled parking space while having had my NYC only disabled parking permit displayed?
And how bad a thing is it to get such a ticket. It's much worse than a regular parking ticket isn't it?

Now the details:
I've had a NYC issued Permit for People with Disabilities for about 3-4 years now and I've never had problems parking in disabled parking spaces outside the city Except for one shopping mall in Westchester, NY found just north of NYC. I figure that hey, it's obvious to anyone that with such a permit, THIS person IS disabled, right? Thus the reason why I've never received a ticket anyplace else. Doesn't take a genious to figure that one out.

But, the officer in this situation wrote on the ticket: "Permit Valid NYC Only". It had never occurred to me until now to check with the local DMV and to my surprise, even they told me that NO, I'm not supposed to use this permit anyplace outside of NYC. Wow! 'ain't that a kick in the head.

So, what'd ya think? Might I be risking a bigger court fine atop the regular $80 ticket? Are my chances slim?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

You never realized the NYC permit is only valid in NYC? Is your disability cognitive? Because that's probably the only defense you could have here. The good news is $80 is a bargain and carries no points. (I believe the fine is $250+ within the NY City limits.)

In the meantime, you can sign up for the state-wide disability plates which are, as you may have surmised by now, valid throughout the entire state, at your local DMV and never have to worry about this stuff in the future:
http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#HANDICAP

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">