• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A little confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4me2no

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I was supposedly parked on private property in Jefferson Parish. I was at an open house for a new school with my daughter and her friend. I was very unfamiliar with the neighborhood. There appeared to be no on street parking. Where I live, you can park on the street. So I circled the block. There weren't any side walks either. In my neighborhood we have side walks. There weren't any no parking or private property signs posted anywhere. The school's parking lot was full, so I drove one block over from the school and found a cemented spot off of the corner in front of a home with a long drive way. Before parking there, I scanned the area for private property signs and didn't see any. I felt safe enough to park my car. Also there was a parking lot next to the driveway of this home and it was full too. I was only parked there for an hour at the most. Upon returning to my car, I found a man made sign, hand written with a purple marker attached to my car's winshield along with a parking ticket. I was furious. I was not only charged with a parking violation but if I choose to appear in court I have a schedule date set for December 22, 2008. Who wants to go to court around Christmas time? I surely don't. Which leads me to my question. If there weren't any no parking or private property signs posted any where and I supposedly parked on private property, how am I to know not to park on private property? I am a law abiding citizen. Had I seen a sign I would have never parked there. I think I have reason to fight this case. What do you think?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

Check the entrances to the neighborhood; you might find such signs there.

There may also be local ordinances that prevented your parking there, and unfortunately ignorance of the law is no excuse.

What was the actual code you were cited for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">