• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealed Records and Violations - background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thomasl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am about to be hired for a job, and on the application, it asks if I have ever been convicted of an unlawful offense. if so..check here and explain.

well, when I was 13, I got arrested for shoplifting....that was 16 years ago...I am certain the record is sealed...should I mention this or no?

Also, I decided to give myself a background check to see if anything else popped up...nothing under criminal charges...but I found a $25 lien against me from the Criminal Court of the City of New York...I have no idea what this is from, I am guessing it is a ticket for loitering or something of that ilk. I have no idea even how to find out what this is...If I could, I would and just pay the $25. But, if this is a violation of some sort...loitering, disorderly conduct, etc. should I list this on the form for my new employer? I am in a bind, as I don't even know what this is for, and it didn't show up on the background check. Further, I read that in NY, violations are sealed. Any helpful thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

well, when I was 13, I got arrested for shioplifting....that was 16 years ago...I am certain the record is sealed...should I mention this or no?

If you want to tell the truth, then mention it.

If you want to lie, then don't mention it.

thomasl

In my gut, I know that is what I should do regarding the shoplifting incident.

Still really unsure about this mystery $25 lien from the criminal court of NYC. My current plan of action is to find exactly what this is for, and then proceed accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">