• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Debbie Bokum

i have been in the legal field for nearly twenty years and have never been discharged from a job - until last week. My employment history is exemplary. I have held positions for long periods of time - one position for as long as ten years. i am employed in california.

most recently I was employed by a personal injury firm for a year and a half. during that time I only received positive comments. i even received a bonus in December, 2000. i was employed by this firm on an hourly basis - four day work week. i was only "required" to work 28 hours per week but usually "voluntarily" worked 30+ hours per week. last friday i was called into my boss' office and told that the job required 40 hours per week/five days per week. that i had been a good and loyal employee and was well-liked, it pained him to have to do this, etc., etc. he went onto state that they knew how devoted I was to my family and would have to let me go. i was given my pay for the week and one week's severance pay. an hour later I went back in to my boss and asked why if he liked me so much and thought I was such a loyal employee did he not ask me to increase my hours before letting me go. he responded that he just assumed I wouldn't. I stated that well, I would. he responded well we have someone coming-in on monday and he was "sorry". my employment was at-will - there has never been any type of employee handbook in my office. since I really don't have any "damages" as yet i'm assuming I cannot sue for wrongful termination. correct? i would like to either get my job back so that I can be employed while looking for new employment; or, receive more severance pay. i've done nothing but work hard for these attorneys and feel that they need to be taught a lesson. At the very least, is there an agency I can file a complaint with and get them fined for "unfair labor practices" - even if I don't get a red cent out of them. sorry for the length. I look forward to your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">