• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carrie1011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WASHINGTON
I am one of 22 heirs on my grandfathers estate. He passed in March 2007. We received a copy of the will shortly thereafter by the executor (my uncle). Did not hear a word untill May 2008, and that was a letter and regular (not cashiers/money order) for distribution of a partial payment. Grandpas house had just been listed the month before! The house sold the end of June. We just a couple of days age received a letter telling us the house sold, along with a form he said needed signing, stating we recevied the partial payment in May. And he also said the atty (no name of one) he consulted said he should obtain our SS#'s for the IRS. Is this the norm?? I don't feel comfortable just giving my SS# through the mail. After he receives all of these from all of the heirs, he wll then compile all of the financial info and have an accountant look them over, then send them to us, with an "estimate" of how much our final payment will be. (We have yet to see any financial info on assets, expenses, etc). Along with this letter, will be another form for us to sign, saying we are "happy" with the way he has handled the estate. Then when he receives all 22 of these forms back, he will then send final payment on the estate. Can he do this?? What if we are not happy with the way he has handled things? What if everyone does not send him back all of these "forms" and SS#'s. What should I do??

Dandy Don

Yes, it is normal procedure and it is done for tax purposes. You can consult a local probate attorney for advice on whether you should be signing or not signing any particular forms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">