• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile dating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowgirl4life

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
In Georgia, is it legal for an 18 year old boy to go out with/hang out with/"date" a 14 year old girl (non-sexual relationship); with the 14 year old girls parents permission (they go along with them on the "date" almost always). I know that according to Joshua's law, that there are issues with a minor in the vehicle with him, however, those laws are not broken, as she is not in the vehicle with him between the hours of 12 am & 6 am, as stated in the law; and he has had has license for well over the 12 months, and there is never more than the legal limit of minors allowed in the vehicle.
Again, this is a non-sexual relationship. We realize that there are issues if this were a sexual relationship and that charges could be pressed, but if that were the case, would that be at the discretion of the minor girls parents? (however at this point, that is not the case).
Please advise on the legality of an 18 year old being out with a minor; and if the term minor strictly refers to any age under 18 as well. Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why does this 18 year old adult want to hang out with a 14 year old child? :rolleyes:

cowgirl4life

I probably should clarify, that the girl is almost 15; the boy has just turned 18. They were hanging out and have been friends for quite some time, so prior to his turning 18. People are telling them that even as friends, and going out as a group, bowling, movies, skating, etc, that it's illegal for him to even be with her, much less lets just say, that it turns into dating; that he would be in trouble period, even if there is no sex involved. They have a very strong friendship and do not want to loose that. Again, her parents go with them when they go out, so it is not without parental supervision.

(If there was a link, I did not get it on that reply)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the 145,276th time:

There is no law in any state limiting who may DATE. A minor of any age may "hang with" anyone of any age that his or her parents will give him or her permission to "hang with".

It's when sexual contact (NOT limited to intercourse) comes into play that the law steps in.

If the parents of the 14 year old give permission, the 14 year old and the 18 year old may hang out at the mall, go to school events, go to a rock concert or football game, have a picnic, go for a walk, or whatever other events the parents of the 14 year old give permission for them to do.

(The parents of the 14 year old may withdraw permission at any time, no matter how many times they have given permission in the past. Without parental permission, the 18 year old is out on his or her ear and has NO legal rights to make any kind of contact, be it physical, telephonic, or electronic, with the 14 year old.)

But the minute they attempt to do anything that they could not do in the front pew of the church on Christmas morning, with the 14 year old's parents sitting in the pew behind (thanks to cyjeff for the comparison), THAT's when the law takes a hand.

cowgirl4life

cbg...thanks for the clarification, for the 145,276th time (even tho this is my first time on here).
All of what you have said is exactly what I thought, but I preferred some sort of legal advice; and that's why I posted. Thank you for the information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I probably should clarify, that the girl is almost 15; the boy has just turned 18.
Thank you for the clarification. But that does bring up the question...
Why does this 18 year old adult want to hang out with a 14 year old child? :rolleyes:

cowgirl4life

thank you...but I did use the search function. Why have a forum and post, if you are going to be so rude about answering questions. None of the other forums that I posted this on were smart-alecs... Thank you just the same for the help though. :rolleyes:

cyjeff

I tell you what.

Every day, I will stop you on the street and ask you the exact same question - "How do you tie a shoe".

Every day.

Then, I will get angry if, every day, you don't answer it fully.

It doesn't matter how many times you have answered in the past. It doesn't matter if you have written down the answer and handed it to me. It doesn't matter if I write it in the sky in letters of fire.

I will ask you every day. Every day, I will demand an exact and lengthy answer because either I figure you would just be glad to answer it one more time or I am too lazy to see if any of the sheets on which you wrote down the answer are lying around.

So, how do you tie a shoe? See you tomorrow.

cowgirl4life

wow...i tell you what...
I'm glad I found the other forums then, because man, you folks have some real issues.
I would recommend that if a first time ever poster in the future posts a question, and you feel like you've answered similar things for others in the past, then just DON'T RESPOND TO THEIR POST, instead of being jacka&%'s about it.
I'll stick to the other forums...at least they have folks with some legal area of expertise giving advice.
And if you are that much of an *#$ to your wife when she asks you something, she SHOULDN'T listen to your advice.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that their "legal" advice is the same as here... just without all the fire letter in the sky stuff.

You can really do that?!? Write in the sky with fire letters?!?!:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">