• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layed off, but now their hiring again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Forbidden2002

I live in Bakersfield California and was employed with JC Pennys. I was hired for Christmas help, but after working their for a few weeks, my boss said they were going to keep me fuul time. On Christmas eve, I tore a ligament under my ankle. I called into work and told them I would not be in work that day, but it was going to be put into a walking cast and I would be in the following day. My boss said she had some girls coming back, so she had to lay me off. When I called the next day to get my check, they told me I had to wait untill I signed some papers? So when I went in to sign the papers, I talked to the assistan manager of the store. He told me that he did not know of any papers that I had to sign. And he also thought I was laid off because, I had hurt my foot and moved. I have gotten three different stories of why I was laid off. I also had to wait a whole week before I was allowed to pick up my check. I was also dating a worker who worked in security at the time? They had told us that we were not to talk at work. Or even to take lunch with one another. Was this right of my employer to do? Please help. Thanks.

L

loku

Termination

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason (that carves out such things such as race, color, creed, etc.) or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

It could also be different if the company had a set policy that the employer violated with a termination, for example, if they violated a rule in the employee handbook.

So it looks like they have violated no rights of yours in what they did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">