• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vic.chick

I live in Florida and have worked for the same company for approx. 3 years. Approximately 1/3 of my salary is from commission. My husband has accepted a transfer with his company to another state and in order to be fair, I verbally notified my cmployeer that when our house here sells, that I will be giving my formal notice that I will be leaving my position. I have assured them that I will give them at least 1 month's formal written notice before I vacate my job. It was made aware to me 2 days ago, that my replacement has been hired and that she will undergo a 60 day trial period, but that after that 60 days she will be moved into my position and receive all my commissions. This will demote me to a lesser position and take away at least 1/3 of my pay. Can they do this?? What recourse do I have??
I have never been repremanded by this company and only praised for my hard work and dedication. Thanks for any advice you have.

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason (that carves out such things such as race, color, creed, etc.) or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different. The same thing is true of a demotion.

Unfortunately, I believe your only alternative is to quit or accept the demotion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">