• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor taking forever...what do we do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnndraInAJAZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Estate is in Massachusettes, we live in Arizona.

My stepfather's mom died 2 years ago this Thanksgiving. She left a will, and named his sister-in-law the executor.

All the monies have been disbersed (bank accounts, life insurance, stocks, etc.).

There is a house and a campground lot (single lot, not whole campground) remaining to be sold and those monies disbersed.

The campground lot has been put up for sale...but the house has not. The executor claims she has been cleaning it on the weekends, and it MAY go up for sale this spring.

Her and my stepfather's brother (her husband) are doing well financially, but my stepfather is not. He has health issues and cannot work very much, but is not eligible for disability. He could REALLY use the money, as he is about to lose the rental house he is living in.

My stepfather has contacted his sister-in-law several times over the last year, and her comments have been less than pleasant. She keeps telling him to get off his @ss and get a full time permanent job...she does not believe he has such severe health issues.

Anyway, my stepfather is wanting to know if there is any way he can get a loan against his half of the estate (mainly just a small loan against the house which is worth a lot). He says there is about $400,000 worth of estate, and the will says he gets 49% of that. He only wants a loan of maybe $20,000.

Is there a way to do this?

Or is there a way, without racking up a LOT of attorney's fees, to push the executor to get the house ready for sale, and list it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">