• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to help my girlfriends grandparents..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stellar

My girlfriends Grandmother and Grandfather are both going out of town for a week and want to revise their current will before they leave. Their current will and health directive is appointed to their older son and they want to change that for personal reasons. They both want to appoint my girlfriend, who currently lives with them, pretty much all care, custody, and control of their finances, property (house) and decision making on "what if we are killed in an accident or incapacitated during the trip". Can someone please guide me on what to do....does there need to be an attorney involved to do this, or can it be done thru them writing out a handwritten will, to save money? If anyone can help me or has been down this road...I would appreciate it. They live in Texas

Last edited:

curb1

Do all of the provisions in the wills stay the same except for changing the name of the personal representative? Best suggestion would be to go to the attorney who drew up the wills. They could make the change quickly and correct. They wouldn't want a family fight over something done incorrectly.

Stellar

Thanks for the reply...and "yes" everything will stay the same. You are absolutley right about avoiding a feud. I really appreciate your reply....

Stellar

The original attorney who drew up the will is good friends with the son, who will be replaced with my girlfriend. We all go to the same church.....I sure hope that attorney-client relationship is strictly confidential right?

curb1

I think that everyone should be transparent about this. Are there hard feelings among the people involved? The grandparents have valid reasons for making the change. Just make sure there is no manipulation of the grandparents for personal gain. The penalties are severe. Are the grandparents "of sound mind"?

Stellar

Everything is on the up and up....Both Grandparents have all their mental and physical faculties....The kicker to this whole issue is their son works in hospice care and in their opinion would not have their best interest at heart if something were to happen to them.....Basically they dont want to be shipped off to an old-folks home or committed without proper diagnoses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">