• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intestate revoking Joint accounts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acrid2

Washington State,

My mother got some inheritance, around $90,000

This was due to Her, my younger brother, and myself.

We took care of my grandmother for 6+ years.

She was intending to purchase a house for the 3 of us, as compensation for our work.

The years of work put stress on her and she was ill a lot and put my brother on her acccounts JTWROS in case something happened to her and bills needed to be paid.

She unexpectedly passed away this year, without a will, without buying a house.

Now that my brother has talked to a ATTY he refuses to share any of the money, and I believe is gearing to try and bill the remaining estate for money he used prior, for her utilities and funeral.

He contributed nothing into the accounts.

How hard is it to revoke a joint account? What kind of proof do you need?
Are there any cases I can look up for this state?

BlondiePB

Washington State,

My mother got some inheritance, around $90,000

This was due to Her, my younger brother, and myself.

We took care of my grandmother for 6+ years.

She was intending to purchase a house for the 3 of us, as compensation for our work.

The years of work put stress on her and she was ill a lot and put my brother on her acccounts JTWROS in case something happened to her and bills needed to be paid.

She unexpectedly passed away this year, without a will, without buying a house.

Now that my brother has talked to a ATTY he refuses to share any of the money, and I believe is gearing to try and bill the remaining estate for money he used prior, for her utilities and funeral.

He contributed nothing into the accounts.

How hard is it to revoke a joint account? What kind of proof do you need?
Are there any cases I can look up for this state?
Once granny freely put your brother as JTWROS on the bank account, the money is his upon her passing. He has no obligation to pay for her funeral, etc. out of that money and can file a claim for her funeral.

Ask an attorney about filing a claim on granny's estate (if it's not too late to do so) for her caretaking.

anteater

I'm not sure on the statute of the limitations, granny died at the end of 2005.

And it was our mother that put him on accounts.

I was wondering about the TEDRA petitions here and how hard it was to revoke a joint account.

TEDRA Petitions in Washington State
You are going to have to gather up the facts yu have and consult with a Washington probate attorney.

Nobody on an internet discussion forum is going to know the facts well enougn to say anything other than, "Yeah, maybe you have a shot at it."

BlondiePB

When you speak with an attorney, acrid2, don't use pronouns so the attorney knows what "she" you are talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">