• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forfeiture of Seized Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindeekj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
One year ago task force raided my house. My boyfriend had moved out a few weeks prior to that. Police stopped him in front of my house late at night for no license plates. True reason was because of an informant and my boyfriend being a known meth user. He had around $50 worth of meth on him so they raided my house early next morning - found no meth or anything pertaining to meth. They did however find about $20 worth of pot, pipes and bongs in the basement where my 21 year old son lives. They took several guns and ammo out of the house - all are legal and registered. Charged my son with simple misdemeanor and gave him a deferred judgement. Just received an 'In Rem Forfeiture Complaint' stating the state seeks to forfeit. Conduct giving rise to this is: proceeds and/or used to facilitate the illegal sale of controlled substance, to-wit: methamphetamine. Additionally, provisions under federal regulations478.32 (a)(3). , prohibit possession of firearms and ammunition by unlawful users of or addicted to controlled substances. There was no meth in my house!! There are a few guns that are antiques which belonged to my grandfather and all the others are hunting guns. Guns were locked up in a cabinet not in the room where the pot was found. I cannot afford to pay a lawyer!! Am I crazy to try to appeal this? Is it something that I can do on my own without a lawyer?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
One year ago task force raided my house. My boyfriend had moved out a few weeks prior to that. Police stopped him in front of my house late at night for no license plates. True reason was because of an informant and my boyfriend being a known meth user. He had around $50 worth of meth on him so they raided my house early next morning - found no meth or anything pertaining to meth. They did however find about $20 worth of pot, pipes and bongs in the basement where my 21 year old son lives. They took several guns and ammo out of the house - all are legal and registered. Charged my son with simple misdemeanor and gave him a deferred judgement. Just received an 'In Rem Forfeiture Complaint' stating the state seeks to forfeit. Conduct giving rise to this is: proceeds and/or used to facilitate the illegal sale of controlled substance, to-wit: methamphetamine. Additionally, provisions under federal regulations478.32 (a)(3). , prohibit possession of firearms and ammunition by unlawful users of or addicted to controlled substances. There was no meth in my house!! There are a few guns that are antiques which belonged to my grandfather and all the others are hunting guns. Guns were locked up in a cabinet not in the room where the pot was found. I cannot afford to pay a lawyer!! Am I crazy to try to appeal this? Is it something that I can do on my own without a lawyer?
**A: yes you are crazy. And also crazy for hanging around those types of people.

To obtain legal avice withOUT the criticism would require you PAYING for said services. Don't log into a free forum and b*tch and moan about being criticized when you could just as easily have retained an attorney that will be paid to answer your questions.

DUH!!!

:cool:

Last edited:

Antigone*

I thought this was a website for free legal advice? What's up with the criticizm and nasty remarks instead?
The criticism and nasty remark came along with the answer to one of your questions.
yes you are crazy
You want a better answer...ask a better question. You don't like snark...be ready to pay through the nose (remember it is through the nose...not up the nose like your meth).

Last edited:

lindeekj

To obtain legal avice withOUT the criticism would require you PAYING for said services. Don't log into a free forum and b*tch and moan about being criticized when you could just as easily have retained an attorney that will be paid to answer your questions.

DUH!!!

:cool:
The criticism and nasty remark came along with the answer to one of your questions. .
You want a better answer...ask a better question. You don't like snark...be ready to pay through the nose (remember it is through the nose...not up the nose like your meth).

In asking for this advice, I was hoping to find someone who had been through something similar to this and would offer THEIR advice. I did not think that someone who didn't know what they were talking about would be so eager to voice their unwanted OPINION.

I thank GOD everyday that I am humble enough (and SMART enough) to know that it is not my place to judge others. I am not judging you for the way you treat sincere people - I actually feel sorry for you. I hope that someday you are able to overcome the 'issues' you must have with yourself. Only then will you see how great it makes you feel to offer help when someone asks! GOD BLESS.

PS - We were able to get the guns back WITHOUT an attorney. DUH!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">