• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property under joint ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brooklyn07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is Texas.

My question is a simple one, hopefully. About ten years ago, I inherited a one half interest in a property, with the other half interest owned by a relative. If I decided that I simply do not want to have any more joint ownership in that property, and want out, what would be my options in getting out of this ownership? I do not want to continue in a joint ownership with this relative, whom I am not close to at all, and do not want to go on with all the trouble of managing this rental property.
If I want to sell/liquidate my share in the property, and the other joint owner does not want to sell, what legal options do I have? :confused:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is Texas.

My question is a simple one, hopefully. About ten years ago, I inherited a one half interest in a property, with the other half interest owned by a relative. If I decided that I simply do not want to have any more joint ownership in that property, and want out, what would be my options in getting out of this ownership? I do not want to continue in a joint ownership with this relative, whom I am not close to at all, and do not want to go on with all the trouble of managing this rental property.
If I want to sell/liquidate my share in the property, and the other joint owner does not want to sell, what legal options do I have? :confused:
**A: search partition lawsuit.

divgradcurl

Or, you can try and sell your interest in the house to someone who doesn't mind co-owning the house with your relative.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">