• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mischievous Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DAVID FACEMYER

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I hope I can get an answer. Here goes:

My wife and I just move to this community a year ago. We quickly found out why the previous owners left just after 3 years of owning the house. The children in the neighborhood have absolutely no respect for property. I blame this soley on the parents, but anyway...

We find the kids hitting the house with golf balls, footballs, baseballs... etc. Everyone in the neighborhood is angry, but won't speak out. I, on the other hand, have confronted the children. They will stop for a few days, then go right back to banging up property (ie I had to pay $75 to get my satelite repositioned after it was ripped out of the ground by the children).

I haven't confronted the respective parents yet because I need some "tools in my bag" before I go openly accusing (I know that the parents will put up a fight because they are aware of what's going on). I need to know what legal powers and protections I have when push comes to shove.

Problem: Kids are destoying my property.
Question: What can I do to hold them legally accountable when their parents won't?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Call the police.
I would also consider installing a video (only) camera in such a way that it can NOT be damaged/destroyed by the children...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hmmm... if they were playing mailbox baseball i would have a suggestion to get them to quit RIGHT now. Doing the same to the house won't help though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">